Wednesday 23 February 2011

Compost

I don't know why it has taken me so long to make a place for my compost heap. I think it is because I have just in the last three years started growing my own vegetables and why I have not done that sooner is beyond me as well! Probably because there is an abundance of them at the open air market in Ballymena at the time one would be harvesting their own and they are not too dear to buy also. I wonder at times if all the hours I spend weeding and watering and fertilising is worth it when the wife can bring home an armful of stuff that would choke a donkey! Mind you it is lovely to see one's own growing and being able to go out and pull something fresh and inside a few minutes its cooking in a pot or a lovely lettuce for a salad.
I noticed yesterday the rhubarb has sprouted. I had one clump of it which I split into three and re-planted it in late January. Well I do hope the composting will be a success but I shall have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment